Some Changes Coming – INtuitive Yoga Lab
In light of my ponderings, I’m going to be slowly introducing a new class style called INtuitive Yoga Lab. This is going to incorporate the 4 essentials I wrote about in my last post:
- Slow way way down. Then slow down some more.
- Resistance is the opportunity.
- Consider parts to the whole.
- Question everything.
The goal of INutitive Yoga Lab is to make it easier for people to honor these principles by:
- Making yoga class accessible to various abilities at once
- Creating lots of space and time (and props!) within class for explorations
- Facilitating the discovery of a personalized movement form for each individual
- Helping students to further develop their inner authority and body-honoring intuition.
It may take some time for me to fully develop and refine this way of doing things, and it may take some time for students to get used to this level of self-empowerment in a yoga class, but I believe this approach is well-overdue (I mean this in general and in terms of mainstream yoga; of course, there are those who do and have been taking this or a similar approach for many years) and greatly needed.
In INtuitive Yoga Lab, there will be certain foundational movements taught in conjunction with traditional yoga postures. But overarching everything, I wil encourage an individualized, intuitive, and inquisitive movement practice. Some of the elements that will be introduced and cultivated include both traditional and non-traditional yoga:
- Mind/Body Energy Flow
- Somatic pandiculation
- Developmental and natural movement
- Proprio and Interoceptive Training
- Traditional Asana
- Voicework & Sound
- Restorative Yoga
Indeed many of these aspects are not unfamiliar to my students already, especially those who attended my Absolute Beginners workshop. However, the way I have been delivering them is in for a change. A lab is a scientific environment in which one conducts experiments. Sometimes, important discoveries are made. Other times, things flop. On ocassion, one waits and waits for something to happen. It’s all part of life in the lab. INtuitive Yoga Lab is about giving you and your body temple safety, time and space to experiment, explore and discover your body and its interconnection to mind and spirit.